Dentures are natural looking plates with attached teeth that are great for patients with multiple missing teeth.
While dentures may not function as great as your original teeth, they are one of the next best alternatives when you are in need of replacing missing teeth. At Purchase Street Family Dental in Rye, New York we can have your dentures for you in just one day! Dentures are natural looking and some people will not even notice that you are wearing dentures; they are also less expensive than implants. While implants are permanent, dentures are a molded plate specifically for your teeth that is held in place by an adhesive. Same day dentures or partial dentures are available at our office for your convenience. Don’t feel self conscious, call us today and we can send you home as soon as we sit you down with same day dentures or partial dentures. We do emergency denture repairs and in as little as 45 minutes we can repair your broken or damaged dentures or partial dentures for you. Our denture specialists will give you a full evaluation at one of our complimentary consultations and will provide you with the best solution for your mouth. Call us today if you may think dentures are a great option for you. If you are not happy with dentures our dentists will help find you a greater alternative.
Types of Dentures
- Removable Partial Dentures- Suitable for patients who are not candidates for implants and have lost a few teeth.
- Fixed Partial Dentures- Also known as “crown and bridge” look like normal teeth and are fitted on your remaining teeth.
- Full Dentures- a plate that will replace all of your missing teeth.
- Natural Dentures- Made of biocompatible acrylic that is strong, durable and lightweight natural dentures are much thinner than conventional dentures.
Pros and Cons of Dentures
- They are cheaper than implants, but they are not as sturdy or durable. If an appropriate amount of adhesive is not applied to the dentures they can move out of place, slip, and may break. Handle them with care.
- They will look real but may not function as well as normal teeth. They can alter your chewing habits, cause discomfort, and may cause a lisp until you get used to them.
- Dentures must be cleaned everyday and can cause bad breath if not. They look real and you also have to treat them as if they were real, even though they do not need as much maintenance as real teeth do.
History of Dentures
By the mid 1500’s dentures were a stylized addition to everyone’s mouth but there is evidence that ceremonial sets of dentures may have been worn to cover teeth as early as 4,500 years ago. Due to lack of resources dentures were made from the deceased and teeth were taken from dead animals. It is a good thing technology has evolved the way it has!
The most famous set of dentures belonged to the first President George Washington. Our President suffered from the disease Calomel which caused him to loose his teeth in his early twenties.He had dentures but none of them bore any traces of wood. The dentures he wore throughout his Presidency were made of several expensive materials, including both hippopotamus and elephant ivory.
Dentures can break at any time. If you have a broken plate, immediately put all of the pieces in a glass of water at room temperature and come see us as soon as possible. Keeping the denture in water will prevent the current form from shifting. Using an adhesive made especially for dentures we will fix them up for you in as little as one hour.
The Future for Dentures
Magnetic dentures will eventually replace current plated dentures. Magnets will be installed over your tooths root and will attract the dentures and virtually snap on. This will result in stability and easier removal.